Dear Franklin families,
This past week, I, along with our principals, had the opportunity to spend a day (virtually) with other EL Education school leaders as we took a deep dive into the hard work of creating equitable schools. This topic, always in the center of our thoughts, is especially challenging this year as we grapple with the added issues of safety and learning in the COVID pandemic. One way we are keeping this topic present for ourselves is through staff Equity Crews. Every member of our staff belongs to a Crew, and each Crew has been tasked with finding a meaningful action to make our school a more equitable place. While Crews are just beginning this work, ideas range from creating student Crew curriculum to auditing our classroom libraries and creating a wish list of books for diverse perspectives. As a staff, we are also reading and studying the book “Between the World and Me” by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
We invite all of our families to help us with our efforts to create an equitable school. If you or your student have experienced racism or bias, please reach out to me, your principal, your Crew leader, or a trusted adult at school to let us know. Together, we can create change.
This week in school, we have also been grappling with the issue of grades and student learning. Our data show that many students are struggling right now. Do not struggle alone! Teachers spent time checking in with each other about students, creating plans, and reaching out to parents. We’re looking at all kinds of solutions, from more structured use of teacher office hours, to bringing some students on campus for support, to adapting our schedule and instructional time. The most important message for parents and students is that we are here to help and work with you. Quarter One ends October 15 – we want to help students improve their learning and their grades before the end of this quarter!
Finally, I want to remind all families that we can also help with needs beyond academics. If your family needs assistance with meals, school supplies, internet access, or counseling support – please let us know.
- For food or school supplies, please contact Deeana Bennett, firstname.lastname@example.org
- For help with internet access, contact Jessica Potter-Bowers, email@example.com
- For social/emotional support, contact Bryan Wilson for middle school, firstname.lastname@example.org, or Katherine Becker for high school, email@example.com
Thank you to everyone who has completed the Plan B Parent Survey! We need to hear from every family. If you haven’t yet completed the survey, please take a minute to do so today. We are continuing to collect information about how our community feels about transitioning to Plan B, and will bring everything to our Board of Directors for the October meeting. Plan B Parent Survey
Bolts Together Social Events & Connections
Here’s the upcoming schedule for Back to School Night, Onsite Crew and Bolts Together Nights:
- Tuesday, Sept 29, 6 – 7 pm: High School Virtual Back to School Night. The structure will be the same as Middle School, with a grade level presentation followed by the opportunity to drop into individual virtual “classrooms”. We hope you can join us! We will send an invitation with the link to your grade level presentation and individual teacher virtual classrooms before Tuesday evening.
- Wednesday Onsite Crew:
- Sept 30: 8th grade at 9 am; 12th grade at 11 am
- Oct 7: we start over with 5th grade at 9 am; 9th grade at 11 am
- Oct 14: 6th grade at 9 am; 10th grade at 11 am
Need transportation for Onsite Crew? Please complete this sign-up form.
- Bolts Together Nights – join for music, food truck, fun!
- Thurs, Oct 1, 6 – 7:30 pm: 8th – 12th Grade Students. Sorry parents – this event is for students only! Health screening, masks and social distancing are required.
- Thurs, Oct 7, 6 – 7:30 pm: 5th – 7th Grade Students and Parents. Drop-off is allowed, please pick up promptly! Health screening, masks and social distancing required.
Just a reminder – if you would like to share your contact information for the purposes of setting up Study Buddy groups, Pandemic Pods, or just to reach out and check in with other FSI community members, here’s a form to do just that. Simply click on that link, navigate to your child’s grade tab at the bottom of the spreadsheet, put your information in the spreadsheet. Don’t be shy – reach out! If you are feeling isolated, chances are pretty good that someone else is as well.
Get involved! Join a club!
- Community Council meets every Wednesday at 12:35pm – they are currently planning Homecoming and Spirit Week. Open to all high school students- Link: Community Council- OH YEAH!!
- Science Olympiad (Middle & High) Parent/Student Interest Meeting Wed, Sept 23, 4:00 pm: https://zoom.us/j/92211915793?pwd=ZW96cERZL2Z0cGxVNUYra2pvcUFlUT09
- Mountain Biking Club 1st Event: wed, Sept 23, 4 – 6 pm at KOLO Bike Park. For more info or to sign up to receive club event info, please email Ethan Burns: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- MS Theatre Club: Thursdays, 3:30 – 5 pm, email Chris Martin @email@example.com for more info and link to join
- In Person Improv Games after each MS In Person CREW, 10:45 – 11:15 am
15 slots available for students/ Email Mr. Martin at firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your spot.
These in person improv events replace the online improv on Wednesdays.
- HS Theatre Club: Every otherThursdays, email Kenzie Eury- email@example.com for more info and link to join.
- Student Government Association (SGA) Spirit and Events meets every Thursday at 12:15 – 12:45. Link to join: https://meet.google.com/wrc-tbfq-oei