Dear Franklin families,
As we enter our 3rd week of school, we hope everyone is getting into the swing of things and starting to find routines and structures that work. The start of the school year is always challenging, and certainly this year brings more challenges than ever. Please do continue to reach out to us if there are ways we can help make things easier for you and your family. We’d love your feedback – if you have something to share, here’s the link to the survey that went out last week!
Last week, we transitioned to a school-wide Zoom account. This new (paid) version of Zoom provides improved security measures for us, as well as better function for breakout rooms and several other features. Why did we make this transition in the 2nd week of school? We really needed time with our teachers and students to see how the synchronous (live) classes were going, and to see what platform would best support instruction this year. We know there are technology glitches that go along with this process. We’ll keep working and learning every day to improve.
One big challenge we all feel is how to connect with one another in this remote environment. We miss having students and families on campus! It is really hard to know how you all are, and to feel like we are part of a community. Toward that end, we’re planning some in-person, outdoor, socially-distanced events. Onsite Crew was a success, and we’re ready to try more!
Here are a few ways we are planning to help build community:
- Wednesday, Sept 2: New Student Bolt Mixer: Open to new to Franklin students in grades 5 – 12; We invite all of our new students to join in a new student mixer this Wednesday, September 2nd at 12:30 via this link. During this time, we have selected some of our most outgoing Bolts from grades 6-12 to be there to help make connections with present students. Once in the big zoom, we will send grades into smaller breakout groups of 10-20 students where they can all speak and learn more about each other with students from their grade. This will allow students to make more connections before coming to a Bolts Together Night event.
- Thursday, Sept 3: Grades 8 – 12 Bolts Together Night: Open to students in grades 8 – 12; food truck, music, and socially-distanced outdoor social time! Masks are required. This is an outdoor event; no rain date. We’ll keep Thursday Bolts Together Nights going as long as we are in Plan C, weather allows, and there is interest – rotating between grades 5 – 7 and 8 – 12. Sorry parents – this is a student event. We’ll have things for you also!
- Wednesdays, beginning September 9 – Onsite Crew: We’re going to host Onsite Crew, 2 grades each week, as long as we are in Plan C or through the end of October. These will be outdoor only events – we’ll cancel if the weather is dreadful. So come prepared for outdoor fun! Middle school Crews will meet from 9 -10:45 am; high school Crews will meet from 11 am – 12:45 pm. Here’s the schedule for the 1st 4 weeks:
- Sept 9: 5th grade at 9 am; 9th grade at 11 am
- Sept 16: 6th grade at 9 am; 10th grade at 11 am
- Sept 23: 7th grade at 9 am; 11th grade at 11 am
- Sept 30: 8th grade at 9 am; 12th grade at 11 am
- Thursday, Sept 10: Grades 5 – 7 Bolts Together Night: Open to students AND parents – we’ll have a food truck, music, and socially-distanced outdoor social time! Stay tuned as we plan these very low-key Thursday night community building events.
- Tuesday, Sept 15: Virtual Town Halls. We want to connect with you, virtually! We want to hear how things are going, what is working well, what isn’t connecting for you, and how we can all work together to make this year better. We’ll post links for these events when we get a little closer.
- Middle School Town Hall: 5 – 6 pm
- High School Town Hall: 6:30 – 7:30 pm
Return of Clubs!
We are so excited for clubs to begin! Here’s what is starting right now:
- MS Theatre Club: Thursdays, 3:30 – 5 pm, email Chris Martin @email@example.com for more info and link to join
- HS Theatre Club: Every otherThursdays, email Kenzie Eury- firstname.lastname@example.org for more info and link to join. Next meeting Sept 10
- MS Improv Jam: Wednesdays at 11-11:30am. Join any Wednesday! Email Chris Martin
Also, it’s time for auditions! High School auditions for Radium Girls by D.W Gregory on Sept 10th and callbacks Sept 11th. Anyone can audition, just email a video performance of a 60-sec monologue of their choosing to Ms. Kenzie at email@example.com.
Be sure to check out the messages below from our principals! We will begin including updates from them every other week, in this weekly email – but there’s something for everyone today!