Buy Your Tickets Today! Tickets and more details:
Good morning Franklin families,
And just like that it feels like spring! I don’t know if this weather will last but the forecast makes me confident that we will not need our first weather makeup day. This Friday, Feb 9, is a scheduled day off and we will also be off for Monday, Feb 12. Monday was set aside in case we needed to make up days lost for snow or other weather disruptions. Monday, March 18 is another weather make-up day. As of right now we do not need either day. Please note that we DO have school on Monday, Feb 19. Presidents’ Day is not a school holiday. We apologize for any confusion this causes! We’ll take a look at this as we finalize the calendar for next year.
On that note, we will release the calendar for the 2024-2025 school year following next week’s Board of Directors meeting. I know many of you are already planning summer travel. We anticipate that our first day of school will be Monday, August 26. We’ll send out the full calendar next week.
Now that we’re into February – it’s time to gear up for our 10th Anniversary Gala and Silent Auction on Saturday, March 2! We look forward to a fun night together with great food catered by 67 Biltmore, live music, and the chance to mingle and see all the great auction items. The auction is open to anyone – even if they can’t attend in person! Bidding is open now and we’ve got some great items.
If you haven’t picked up your tickets yet, please act now and get them before Feb 14 so we can get an accurate count of who is ready to come celebrate with us! You can also enter the 50/50 raffle and start bidding on auction items. You’ll need to register to bid so have a credit card handy and just navigate over to the “register” tab.
Re-enrollment has begun! We know that Open Enrollment and re-enrollment are confusing.
- If your student is returning to FSI next year – you will complete re-enrollment paperwork. You should have received this Feb 1
- If you plan to enroll a sibling next year who does not yet attend FSI – you will complete an enrollment application for the sibling. The application is online (go to our website and click the banner at the top). Please be sure to check the box for “sibling”! You will also submit re-enrollment paperwork for your returning student.
- If your student is not returning to FSI next year, please let us know so that we can make their spot available to another student.
The newsletter continues to be packed full of events. This is a busy time of the year! Please read through to catch all the news from Bolts Athletics, our Parent Crew, and all the student activities and fundraisers. Thank you for choosing FSI and building a great community together!
Tues, Feb 6
- 4:15 pm: MS (JV) Basketball vs. Art Space
Thurs, Feb 8
- 5:30 pm: HS Basketball @ Bethel Christian – final game of the season
- 6:30 pm: Virtual Info Session for Prospective Families https://zoom.us/j/98487691026?pwd=d1lzalZFMmtqSnEvdTR4TVpMTzZRdz09
Fri, Feb 9 and Mon, Feb 12: No School
Bolts Athletic News
- MS V won an exciting game at Shining Rock 26-24. After being down by 12 at the half, the Bolts rallied for the victory and held Shining Rock to 6 second half points! S. Bragdon led the way with 11 points and G. Stone added 10 points. O. Klein and M. Johnston led the way in rebounding.
- MS JV also won an exciting game vs Fern Leaf at home 39-35. It was a tight game most of the way with the Bolts pulling away in the 4th. The Bolts were led in scoring by E. Floan and J Melton. K. Dula dominated on the boards.
- HS went 1-1 on the week with a win vs Shining Rock and a close loss to the Trailblazers. The Bolts celebrated Senior Night by defeating Shining Rock 70-19. The Bolts were led in scoring by T. Pruitt and G. Kirsch and the leading rebounders were J. Dickson and G. Kirsch. Special shout out to the five seniors: K. Brooks, C. Black, J. Dickson, J. Ankeney and G. Kirsch. We’ll miss their leadership!
- The game vs the Trailblazers was competitive and came down to the fourth quarter. Unfortunately, the Bolts just didn’t have enough and lost 49-37. The Bolts were led in scoring by T. Pruitt with 12 points and G. Kirsch and Z. Chamlee each chipped in with 8 points.and the leading rebounders were G. Kirsch and J. Dickson.
- The HS team returns to action on Thursday, February 8th for their final game of the season at Bethel Christian Academy.
Don’t Miss the Event of the Season! Staff vs Students Basketball Games!
Thursday, February 15th
- Middle School Game: 5:00pm
- High School Game: 6:00pm
Admission: Adults $5 Students $3
There will also be a 50/50 raffle. All proceeds benefit the Bolts Athletic Programs.
Students must submit physical and all paperwork prior to practices. Students must pay the annual sports registration fee before first game.
Middle School Soccer (grades 5 – 8, mixed gender)
- Practices begin mid-March
- Coach Kyle Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org)
High School Girls Soccer (grades 9 – 12)
- Practice starts Feb 19
- Coaches Chad Gerber (email@example.com) & Sagan Pizzingrilli (firstname.lastname@example.org)
High School Ultimate (grades 9 – 12, mixed gender)
- Practices begin mid/end February
- Coach Chad Gerber (email@example.com)
Parent Crew News & Opportunities
The next meeting for the Parent Crew is Tuesday, February 20th at 6:00 PM at FSI. Join other parents and get involved with your school! If you cannot attend in person, virtual options are available at https://meet.google.com/rvo-autr-nfn
We have another Dine Out Night coming up!
Order from Papa Johns on 02/21 or 02/22 and use the code Franklin, and 15% of the sales will go towards the school.
Parent Volunteers Needed!
We are looking for 1 or 2 parents with a chainsaw and skills to cut up logs for kids to use as stools in our outdoor classroom. Please email JP at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help.
Mark Your Calendar & Get Your Tickets: TEDxYouth FSI presents “Curiosity: Broadening Our Horizons.” Feb 20, 6 – 9 pm
We aim to challenge society to think deeper into their lives and the lives of those in the community. With the theme of curiosity, we aim to dive deep into ideas and interests that set us apart so that we can expand our knowledge, grow together and better our communities. Our event will be held on February 20th, 2024 at the North Carolina Stage Company from 6-9pm. Tickets are $15 and include refreshments – https://www.tedxyouthfsi.com/
Senior Trip Fundraising!
Our seniors are planning a great trip for one final opportunity to create memories, share time together, and celebrate the end of their high school years. To keep the trip affordable, they are raising funds. They’ve just learned that they were approved for a grant, but they still have some fundraising to meet their goal.
Senior Trip GoFundMe:
If you’d like to make a donation for their trip, click here:
Middle School Movie Night: Friday, Feb 23
Seniors are hosting a Movie Night for middle school students on Friday, Feb 23, from 4 – 5:30 pm. Students may stay after school; movies will start at 4 pm. Pizza and snacks will be available. Tickets will be sold at the door (cash only please). If you’d like to help them offset the cost of concessions – click here to purchase items!
Petals for Prom: Annual Rose Sale Fundraiser
Spread some floral affection – our annual Valentine’s Day Rose Sale is here! From January 28th to February 12th, you have the chance to spread joy and support our school prom!
Purchase a rose for your friends, teachers, or even treat yourself! Roses are $5 each and will be delivered during 1st period on February 14th. Parents can also send a rose to their student, making it a delightful surprise. Purchases can be made online using this google form. After completing the form, you will receive an invoice from quickbooks via email. The invoice must be paid by February 12th for your student to receive their rose. Students will also be able to purchase roses during lunch starting January 29th.
Planting seeds for the future: This year’s fundraiser doesn’t just fund the 2024 prom; it ensures we have a head start for the next one too. Your support goes beyond this year – it lays the groundwork for future proms, creating a legacy of memorable moments. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Elizabeth Joslin. email@example.com
Franklin Flurries Middle School Dance, Sat, Feb 17
The annual Franklin Flurries middle school dance will be on Saturday, February 17 from 6:30-8:30pm. Cost for tickets is $7 in advance and $10 at the door. Cash or check only; make checks payable to The Franklin School of Innovation. Tickets will be on sale during lunch Feb 13 – Feb 16. Snacks and drinks will be available for purchase. Questions? Contact Gretchen Kehrberg, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The FSI prom committee is sponsoring the Franklin Flurries middle school dance. We need help with donations and volunteers. Please look at this SignUp Genius and add your name to help with snacks, drinks, decorations, or volunteering. All donations should be delivered to the front office by February 16th and labeled Franklin Flurries.
Student Research Project: Breathing Meditation
Here’s another great student AP Research project! This project is studying the effect of breathing meditation on focus, retention, and mood in high school students. If you do not want your student to participate or if you have any questions, please reach out to Tess Barnes (email@example.com). Link to the parent consent form: link
We are seeking a High School math teacher for advanced level math (PreCalculus and Math 4). This position is open immediately and/or for next school year. For more information, see our website: https://www.franklinschoolofinnovation.org/our-story/careers/
MANNA Packs for Kids
MANNA Packs for Kids is a take-home food program that provides a weekly bag of food to students. Bags will contain items such as proteins, fruits, vegetables, snacks and/or breakfast items.The “MANNA Packs for Kids” program’s mission is to serve those families with children who are experiencing economic difficulty and could use assistance in providing food when school meals are not an option. To join the program, please fill out the Manna Packs google form here.
Buy Your Yearbook Today!
Our Yearbook Class is hard at work designing our school yearbook! Order yours now for the best prices:
Current sale: $50 until Nov. 10
Next Sale: $55 from Nov. 11- Jan. 26th
Final Sale: $60 from Jan. 27-May 26th
And here is the link:
Middle School BIPOC Student Union (BSU) – First Fridays
We are excited to announce that the middle school BSU is returning beginning this Friday!
- Who: middle school BIPOC students, grades 5-8
- What: To build and celebrate community.
- Why: Our mission is to confront racism through education, celebration, and messaging to foster inclusive environments that allow all BIPOC students to participate. We charge all FSI community to become advocates of systemic change by promoting dialogue in word or deed, in and out of classrooms with their non-bipoc peers. We celebrate BIPOC culture while challenging systematic oppression. We are committed to accountability and creating a future where all individuals are valued and respected.
- When: the first Friday of each month. Next Meeting: March 1
- Where: room 172 (Mrs. Ryan’s room)
*Pizza lunch will be provided. Please reach out to JR Negron (firstname.lastname@example.org) or
Jenn Ryan (email@example.com) if you are planning to attend (to make sure we have enough pizza) or with any questions.
Help Desk One-Act Comedy
Mark your calendars for the upcoming Middle School theatre performance of Help Desk, Friday, March 8 at 6 pm and Saturday, March 9 at 2 pm. The FSI Middle School Theatre Department is rehearsing the one-act comedy, HELP DESK. The rehearsal schedule can be found here. Performances will be in the FSI Community Room on Friday March 8 at 6PM and Saturday March 9 at 2PM. Please contact Ms. Lexa with any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s going to be a hilarious show!
THE ADDAMS FAMILY MUSICAL
The FSI High School Theatre Department in collaboration with the FSI Music Department is in rehearsal for our first high school musical production! Auditions were in December and rehearsals underway. SAVE THE DATE! Performances will be in Kittredge Theatre at Warren Wilson College on Friday, April 19 and Saturday, April 20 at 7:00 PM. Cast and crew members can access the rehearsal schedule here. Questions? Contact Julie Wharton at email@example.com or Sandi Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Middle School Student Council Updates
The student council is excited about their new blog! Publicity coordinators Matilda Carter and Alex Pilcher helped create the idea to have a space to share the updates. You can check out the blog with all of our news (https://fsimsstudentcouncil.blogspot.com/). If you prefer to see our updates in person, check out our bulletin board in the 5th/6th grade hall! We will be updating both as new information, events, and news come in!
Find our list of clubs on our website: https://www.franklinschoolofinnovation.org/student-life/clubs/
Who do I go to when….
Whether you are new or returning to Franklin, we know you will have questions, and we want to help you find the best person to answer them, quickly and efficiently. We hope this little guide will help you navigate! Click here to access the guide: Who do I go to when…
Need to contact a teacher? Find them quickly with this link to our Teaching Teams for 2023-2024